Links2Care – Halton and Mississauga Region
Full-time Contract from May 3, 2021 to December 31, 2021
The Community Navigator supports seniors, individuals with disabilities and families by navigating the system to help them achieve their care goals. In addition, the Community Navigator will support clients and caregivers to acquire the needed skills to navigate systems of care to manage their day-to-day health and social care needs. The Community Navigator will work with clients with needs often related to the social determinants of health. This could include providing assistance with housing insecurity, income insecurity, access to social and health care services that may include supports for managing an addiction, mental health, abuse, bereavement, family or caregiver dynamics/dysfunction and other challenges associated with living independently. The Community Navigator will make referrals to other service providers and programs, as appropriate.
1. Coordinates and navigates systems of care that will support the client to achieve their care goals.
2. Assesses emerging circumstances identified by the client that risk destabilizing their safety and well-being.
3. Provides care management while promoting skills of the client and/or caregiver to navigate needed systems to address their care needs that include but are not limited to providing information and resources about programs and services available throughout Halton & Mississauga.
4. Ensures principles of Health Equity are used when interacting with clients, caregivers and service partners.
5. Assists clients with applications for housing, financial benefits and other resources, as appropriate.
6. Actively listens, providing non-judgmental support to clients for self-directed decision making and choice.
8. Accurately documents and maintains client care plans aligned with Links2Care’s policies.
9. Develops collaboration and partnerships, liaising, consulting and advocating with community service providers, caregivers, professionals and family members on behalf of the clients as appropriate.
10. Records, and reports program statistical data and analyzes annually to contribute to quality improvement in practices and processes, as needed.
11. Develops and implements program evaluations and monitors ongoing program performance measures for continuous improvement through client satisfaction surveys.
12. Mentors Links2Care staff in managing persons in crisis, facilitating group information sessions as needed.
13. Participates in ongoing education and continuous learning opportunities.
14. Participates in community networking and community partnerships.
15. Participates in the broader Links2Care team by attending general staff/team meetings, community events, fundraising events and marketing of programs.
16. Maintains a safe and healthy work environment.
Skills and Competencies:
1. Demonstrates Links2Care values.
2. Establishes and maintains positive and professional relationships with stakeholders.
3. Demonstrates professional, caring and compassionate delivery of service.
4. Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing.
5. Excellent time management skills with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
6. Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with others as part of a team.
7. Possesses analytical and problem-solving skills.
8. Strong organizational and administrative skills.
9. Attentive to details and accurate with numbers.
10. Demonstrates accountability.
11. Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office. Experience with Alayacare is an asset.
12. Maintains professional knowledge and competence.
1. Bachelor’s degree/Diploma in Social Work (preferred), Geriatrics, Community Development, or other related field combined with a minimum 1-2 years relevant experience working with seniors and individuals with disabilities. Previous experience supporting persons in crisis and/or with complex needs is required.
2. Outstanding verbal communication skills and written skills.
3. Demonstrated ability to assess with good judgment and instinct in understanding and supporting vulnerable populations and the needs of clients.
4. Thorough understanding and awareness of issues impacting seniors and persons with disabilities including homelessness, poverty, abuse and mental health.
5. Sound knowledge of community resources and programs available to seniors and persons with disabilities in Halton and Mississauga. Knowledge of the programs and services provided by Links2Care is an asset.
6. Working knowledge of the Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) mandate, as well as seniors programming, funding sources and implications of program decisions.
7. Strong organizational and administrative skills.
8. Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office. Comprehension of the InterRAI Cha client assessment tool and Alayacare is an asset.
9. Outstanding documentation skills with the ability to create accurate and detailed client case notes.
10. Tact, discretion, honesty and ability to develop positive relationships with seniors and adults with disabilities.
11. Ability to safeguard and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
12. Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries and work within a defined scope of service.
13. Ability to work independently with little direct supervision.
14. Completion of a satisfactory Criminal Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screen prior to and throughout employment is required.
15. Must have reliable transportation, a valid Ontario driver’s license and a minimum of $1,000,000 liability insurance coverage, in the candidate’s name.
Via Email: [email protected]
Links2Care reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability in accordance with Links2Care policy and applicable federal and provincial law.
Links2Care is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact our Human Resources Department at 905-844-0252 ext. 112.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
For more information about the programs and services offered by Links2Care, please visit our website at www.links2care.ca.
Job Type: Full-time Contract