VOLUNTEER Meals on Wheels Driver/Runner – Halton Hills
Links2Care is a non-profit, community service organization providing a better quality of life through care, support and connection for seniors and adults with disabilities, children and families, and people of all ages in need in Halton, Mississauga, and South Etobicoke.
We have a culture of caring because it is what we do! We empower people – our volunteers, our clients, and our stakeholders – by supporting them to live their best possible life.
For more information about our wide variety of programs and services, please peruse our website.
VOLUNTEER Position Overview
The Meals on Wheels Driver/Runner delivers nutritious meals to people living at home who are unable to prepare their own meals and/or picks up meals at provider and brings them to our distribution sites.
As a volunteer of Links2Care, the volunteer will actively demonstrate Links2Care values and will promote and support the mission and vision of the agency.
Time Commitment: Approximately 1-1.5 hours at lunch time per delivery route
Location: Various locations in Halton Hills (Acton or Georgetown)
Closing Date: Ongoing
Role and Responsibilities
- Picks up route list and meals from the Georgetown or Acton office
- Using your own vehicle, deliver meals to each client on the route sheet
- Uses sanitization practices such as recommended hand washing and food serving guidelines
- On completion of meal delivery, returns list and meal bags to office
- Interacts professionally in accordance with Links2Care Code of Conduct and Human Rights Act
- Maintains a safe and healthy work environment
- Reports any unusual client conditions and concerns to Coordinator
- Maintains calmness in emergencies, with an ability to assist in a crisis
- Participates in annual volunteer survey
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Possess a valid Ontario Driver’s license and a safe driving record
- Access to a safe and appropriate vehicle, which is adequately insured with a minimum of 1 million dollars of liability
- Physical ability to carry meal bags
- Patient, understanding, and sensitive to the needs of seniors or those with disabilities
- Friendly and courteous
- Reliable and punctual
- Ability to respect and maintain client confidentiality
- Ability to interact, listen and communicate clearly with others in a professional, courteous and pleasant manner
- Willingness to assist others in a non-judgmental manner with patience and understanding
- Completion of a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check prior to start date and throughout volunteer duration as required by Links2Care
Boundaries and Limitations
- No physical contact with clients
- No lifting or transferring, providing personal care to, or transporting clients
- No administering of medication to clients
- No providing advice of a medical or financial nature to clients
- Drives throughout the community in personal car
- Walks to client’s door to drop off meals
Orientation, Training and Benefits
- Orientation to agency programs and policies and ongoing support and training
- Program specific information and training
- Opportunity to give back to the community
- Opportunity to gain work experience
- A valued member of a team
- Community involvement hours for high school if applicable
- Assists people to live independently while enhancing quality of life.
- Mileage expenses are reimbursed.